Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Little Shop of Horrors(1960) Vs. Little Shop of Horrors(1986)



The Little Shop of Horrors – 1960




        I’m a big fan of Roger Corman movies so I was a little surprised to find out the 1986 musical wasn’t an original concept.   Youtube now offers full length movies for rent and has a large portion of free videos to watch as well.  When I found out about this I went to Youtube’s store to check it out.  I bookmarked a few movies to watch later and maybe review, among them are some great Corman classics like A Bucket a Blood(I really need to review this sometime because it is a great movie filled with camp) and of course “The Little Shop of Horrors”. 

        You’re in for a lot of shocking and pleasant surprises with this movie especially if like me you’ve only been exposed to the 1986 musical.  First of all this movie was shot in only 2 days and a lot of lines were improvised.  Second, "The Little Shop of Horrors" IS NOT a musical.  And third this is one of Jack Nicholson’s first roles.  He has a brief cameo and he’s very energetic and funny.  While I was searching for posters for this review I found a few that featured Nicholson holding Audrey Jr. and he got top billing even though all he has is a brief cameo and he’s never seen with the plant.  You don’t really need to resort to these tactics when your movie is a confirmed and beloved cult classic.  Regardless you probably wouldn’t guessed after witnessing the spastic masochist that Nicholson plays in this movie that he would one day go on to be one of the most easily recognizable a-listers across the planet.  Even though it means a lot less to most people it also has Dick Miller in it.  If that name doesn’t ring a bell he starred in A Bucket of Blood and had supporting roles in a lot of other Corman flicks.  He was also in Gremlins 1 and 2 and was the comically(and tragically) stupid clerk at the gun shop who gives Schwarzenegger the gun and bullets to kill him.  Like Nicholson he has a quirky role in this movie where he considers flowers a culinary delicacy.

       “The Little Shop of Horrors” is a possibly one of the first and best examples of a crossover movie.  It blends sci fi, horror, and comedy.  There’s even a little romance.  It’s not easy to laugh at jokes that are over 50 years old but I couldn’t help laughing out loud at times. 

       Our main character is Seymour Krelboyne, a clumsy young plant enthusiast who works for a florist on skid row.   In the opening sequence his boss fires him for his continued incompetence but decides to give him a second chance when he tells him about an odd new breed of plant he’s been growing that could draw a crowd and business to the failing shop.  After he accidently cuts his finger moving a pot he finds out Audrey Jr. has a taste for blood.  From this point forward Seymour has to decide what’s more important doing the right thing or his obligation to Audrey Jr. and his boss’s shop.

      “The Little Shop of Horrors” has everything a really great b-movie needs, catchy title, quirky characters, bizarre situations, compelling and creative story, a bloodthirsty monster, quotable lines, and a small budget.  Unlike other b-movies I think it’s well acted.  A lot of the lines in this movie required good comedic timing or the jokes would fall flat.  There’s a reason this movie is a classic and has survived the years and I highly suggest you check it out especially if you love the 1986 musical.   90/100

You can watch the original here: The Little Shop of Horror @ YouTube
A Bucket of Blood can be found here: A Bucket of Blood @ YouTube or here: A Bucket of Blood @ Hulu


Little Shop of Horrors – 1986





       I want to start this review by saying that ever since I was a kid I have always hated musicals.  I know some people might find that statement unusual but like many 80’s kids I grew up watching MTV and bad horror and action movies.  I think part of the appeal of these movies to the 8 year old me was that they were more adult, they didn’t seem to speak down or pander to me, they had little or no morals,  I wasn’t supposed to be watching them, and they were more entertaining than the things I was supposed to be watching.  So it should be no surprise given this information when I say I saw this movie right after it came to video and my parents rented.  I can understand that many children might be scared and have nightmares about this movie but I just thought it was funny and found the man-eating plant cute.

      With all that said this is a great movie.  One of the problems I have with musicals is a lot of times they can be a little uneven.  It’s like an album that has a couple of great singles so you go out and buy the cd only to find out you hate every song but the ones you heard on the radio.  In a musical if there’s at least one song I hate it ruins the entire movie for me and if I ever watch it again seeing that one number I don’t like is torture, but in the case of most musicals it’s not just one song I hate it’s a lot.

        I’m not sure exactly how you can take something as inanimate as a plant and give it personality and attitude but they did it and with flying colors.  They took everything about the original movie and made it better, funnier, and then added music.  There are obviously differences between the two outside the music.  This is a reimagining not a remake and because of that some characters are given bigger parts and depth and others are cut out completely.  Crazy guy who eats flowers is gone, as is Seymour’s hypochondriac mother, and the world’s most ambitious prostitute that stalks Seymour at the end.  These were my favorite characters but I really didn’t have a problem with them being cut because they don’t really fit here and didn’t have much to do with the story to begin with.  Besides if I want to see them all I have to do is watch the original.  Jack Nicholson’s masochistic dental patient is back only now he’s played by Bill Murray and I never thought I’d say this but Bill Murray outdoes Jack Nicholson.  They also expanded on the sadistic dentist now played by Steve Martin.  Seymour’s boss is different as well.  In this one it’s revealed he adopted him and gave him a place to live and a job in the shop.  In spite of the many small changes and the addition of musical interludes the plot remains intact. 

     “Little Shop of Horrors” has great music, great sets, great performances, and some amazing practical effects that no doubt would be replaced with computer generated bullstuff nowadays.  Just like the original it blends different movie genres together perfectly and one ups it by making it a musical.  The songs are really catchy and I’ve watched the final number at least 2 dozen times.  Like all great musicals the songs and their content convey a range of different emotions and in so doing the tempos themselves change from song to song.  Despite the fact that this is a reimagining it feels fresh and original and I find it difficult to pick which I’m fonder of.  98/100




 One of the most awesome things ever, a pissed off, vulgar, homicidal, man eating plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment